Diocese of Barbados
St Augustine's Church
Market Hill, St. George, Barbados
Email Webmaster
Today is: Tuesday,27 October,2020 04:58:40 PM

St Augustine Church
Market Hill, St George

Priest-in-Charge: The Rev Suzanne Ellis
Telephone: (246) 437-5659

augustine0001.jpg





Service Times

Sunday

8.00 am and 8.15 am Sunday School





UPCOMING EVENTS
History

St Augustine's Church stands on one acre of lands originally part of Groves Plantation, the property of the Yard family who gave the land.  The cornerstone was laid by His Excellency James Walker, Governor of the island on September 8, 1859.

Construction of the building was halted due to the lack of funds for some time before the Church was made ready for use in 1863, when a roof was put on owing to the energy of Mr. John Lucy Toppin, the owner of Rose Hill Plantation, St. George.  A Baptismal Font  given by his children stands as a perpetual memorial of the great interest taken by him in providing for the spiritual needs of the District.

In the 1880s,  an Organ was obtained from St. Marys Church in Bridgetown, and a Porch was added to the north side of Church.  In 1898, the Chancel was completely remodelled, a Vestry and Organ Chamber added, the Tower at the West end built, and a Chancel Screen erected.

Valuable assistance was received from Mr. G.C. Edghill, Attorney and Manager of Applewaites Plantation, St. George who devoted both time and personal help in carrying out several improvements.  He gave, among other things, a solid silver Flagon, Chalice and Paten, a brass Lectern, a brass Altar Rail and standards for the Choir desks.  These latter were given in memory of his only son who was killed in action of the Great War.

The Bell of the Church was purchased from Drax Hall Plantation with funds raised at a Bazaar held at Applewaites Plantation.  In 1925, the Church received a gift of a handsome pair of Altar Candlesticks presented by the Reverend the Honourable Stephen Phillimore who conducted a Mission in the District in January of that year.

Organisations

ST AUGUSTINE'S MOTHERS' UNION

The St Augustine's Branch of the Mothers' Union was started in 1970 during the incumbency of the Rector of the Church, The Rev Llewellyn Armstrong with Mrs Gwendoline Allman as Enrolling Member, the late Mrs. Coral Burrowes, Deputy Enrolling Member, and Mrs Millicent Brathwaite, as Secretary.  

The first meeting of the group of interested mothes was held in the living room of the rectory with Mrs Perrygore, wife of the Rector of Holy Innocents, at that time, giving a brief history of the Mothers' Union, its aims and objectives.

The first enrolment took place on August 29th, 1970 when 24 members were enrolled by the late Mrs. Pamels Tudor the then President of the Barbados Mothers' Union.

Enrolling Member  
Mrs. Ardene Gaskin

Deputy Enrolling Member  
Mrs Sylvia Lashley

Secretary:
Mrs. Yvonne Duguid

Treasurer
Mrs. Gwendoline Allman

Past Enrolling Membes:


1970-1979
1980-1982
1983-1988
1989-1994
1995-1998
1999
Mrs Gwendoline Allman
Mrs Millicent Brathwaite
Mrs Gwendoline Allman
Mrs Eulene Wilkinson
Mrs Joyce Sealy
Mrs Eulene Wilkinson

Former Clergy



 Last Modified: 5 July,2013