Bishop Coleridge had divided his large diocese into three Arch-deaconries. On his resignation each Archdeaconry was made a separate diocese. The Diocese of Barbados was to comprise the Windward Islands together with Trinidad and Tobago. The Diocese of Antigua was to comprise all the Leeward Islands, and the Diocese of Guiana the British possessions in Demerara.
The Venerable Thomas Parry, who was now Archdeacon of Barbados was appointed to the See of Barbados and was consecrated in Westminster Abbey on August 24, 1842.
During this episcopate, the idea that an act of reparation was due to Africa for the numbers of her sons who had been brought to Barbados as slaves, took shape in the minds of the Bishop and Principal Rawle. It was proposed that students should be trained and sent to Africa as students. In April 1852, the Mission House (an enlarged part of the Principal’s Lodge) was opened with six students, and among them was a negro – Mr J.A. Dupont – who served for many years as missionary in the Rio Pongas in West Africa.
In 1850 an ACT was passed – which came about mainly through the exertions of Principal Rawle – for the better education of the people, and the sum of 3,000 pounds sterling was placed at the disposal of an Education Committee to be appointed from members of the Legislature.
In 1851, there were 34 Clergy and 42 churches and chapels. During Bishop Parry’s episcopate, marriage and burial fees, were abolished, and the sum of 743 pounds sterling was paid annually as compensation to those entitled to fees. Boscobel Chapel or St. Philip-the-Less was built in 1860.
During this episcopate, a first move towards a church council was made, though it was called the Ecclesiastical Board and was only representative of the Clergy and Laity to an exceedingly limited degree.
He resigned and died at Malvern on March 16, 1870.