Diocese of Barbados
St Jude's Church
St George
Email Webmaster
Today is: Monday,23 May,2022 01:12:41 AM

Priest in Charge:  The Rev Peter Boxill
Tel: (246) 433-2143 (h) 429-0371 (o) 433-6144 (church)

clip_image007.gif02262014_15837_1.png



Times of Services

Sunday

9.15 am Family Worship & Eucharist (1st Sunday)
7.00 am Said Eucharist & Sermon (3rd Sunday)
9.15 am Sung Eucharist & Sermon (2nd & 4th Sunday)
9.15 am Choral Matins, Mass nd Sermon (5th Sunday)

Activities/Meetings:

Sundays

9.00 am: Sunday School (Children 5 yrs. & over)
4.00 pm: Church Army
Men’s Meeting - 3rd  Sundays after 7:00 a.m. Mass

Wednesdays
10.00 am Prayer & Bible Study
7.30 pm Men's Fellowship and Woman's Auxiliary          
                          (3rd Wednesdays)

Thursdays
7.30 pm Bible Study

1st Saturday
4.00 pm Mothers' Union - 1st Saturdays



Brief History & Its Physical Structure

The Anglican Church of St. Jude, once referred to as a chapel of ease, was consecrated for worship on February 2nd, 1836 by then Bishop William Hart Coleridge and named after the disciple of Jesus, Jude or Judas the brother of James.  Like many other churches built during Bishop Coleridge’s Episcopate, St. Jude’s was born out of a desire to see more places of worship established in remote areas with fairly dense populations.  It is nestled in the small rural district of St. Jude's Village in the parish of St. George and built on lands donated by the Hon. J. H. Nurse of Ashbury plantation and the Hon. J. H. Holder.   

St. Jude’s Church was constructed with certain features of Roman Gothic Architecture for which it is admired by many.  It is particularly known for the beauty of:

1)      its cruciform shape, with the two wings of the church forming the horizontal beam of the cross and the aisle from east to west being the vertical beam, and
2)      its walk-way, lined on both sides with white stone columns, that leads to and from the southern door.

Within its interior, St. Jude’s has the distinct feature of having two wooden tablets affixed on either side of the west door – on one is inscribed the Ten Commandments, and on the other the Apostles’ Creed and the Lord's Prayer are inscribed.  In recent times, the church has installed three modern (or contemporary) stained glass windows within the eastern wall of the church which are interpretive of the Transfiguration or the Calvary scene.  

Brief Profile of the Church at Present

For the 170 years of existence, St. Jude’s has been nurtured by several priests since the Rev. Francis Ashley, the first incumbent, was appointed in 1836. Over the last eight years, the church has been shepherded under the incumbency of the Rev’d Michael Maxwell (1998) who can easily be described as an evangelical, Anglican minister.  He has inspired new life, and continues to do so, through the equipping of the saints for the work and type of mission and ministry applicable for this new millennium and era of the Church.  Rev’d Maxwell has introduced a number of innovative ways in which the church can share in fellowship as a community of believers, and engage in alternative and expressive forms of worship (in addition to the Traditional Anglican worship from the Book of Common Prayer).  

The church of St. Jude, under the parish system, has over the years continued to reach out to several neighbouring districts within its parochial boundary - districts such as Preogative, Greens, Todds, Ashbury, Redland, Newbury, Cottage, Fairview, Middleton, Superlative, Baird’s Village, Drax Hall and Harmony Cottage.   Drawn from within these districts, and even beyond, the church has (as at the end of 2005) a roll of just over 500 hundred registered members, of which 360 are communicants; and the average attendance for Sunday worship is around 190 persons.   

As with other Anglican Churches, St. Jude’s is governed by a Parochial Church Council chaired by the priest.  It also consists of a number of lay ministries who play an active role with our worship services such as the servers’ and ushers’ guild, the church choir (and other worship leaders), the Eucharistic and Chalice assistants, the lectors’ guild, and the ushers’ guild.  In addition to these, there are a number of the traditional church organizations functioning within the life and ministry of church such as the Sunday School, the Mothers’ Union, the Woman’s Auxiliary, the Men’s Association, the Church Army, and the Prayer & Bible Study Groups.  The Church does not, however, have an established Youth Group, but has a Youth Commission consisting of young adults who organise programmes and activities – such as retreats, hikes, discussion forums, and vacation camps - for the development and involvement of our young people within the life of the Church.  

Former Priests

Date
Priest
Date
Priest
1836-1838
1838-1840
1840-1852
1855-1868
1868-1875
1875-1876
1876-1877
1877-1880
1880-1883
1883-1905
1905-1906
1906-1919
1919-1922
1922-1924
1924-1926
1926-1927
1927-1928
1928-1942
1942-1944
Francis Ashley
E.D. Lovell
Charles Carter
Joseph Piggott
J.J.H. Pitcher
E.N. Branch
N.H. Greenidge
Walter Clarence Watson
Henry Rawle Barnett
Henry Willoughby Moore
H.L. Lovell
Frederick Francis C. Mallalieu
W.C. Gregory
James Vesey Roome
Alleyne George Bradshaw
Fred Hodgkins
Francis George Hall
Walter Eugene Blackett
William Edward Hopkins
1944-1946
1947
1947-1975
1975-1979
1980-1982
1982-1989
1989-1990
1990-1991
1992-1995
1996-1997
1997
1998-March 2008
Present

T.J. Byron
Alfred Theophilus Coldman
DeCourcey Bindley Brathwaite
Fritz Bazin
Augustine Joseph
Austin DeLisle Carrington
Noel Advil Burke
William Beckles
Theodore C.W. Worrell
Trevor Seymour O'Neale
Monrelle Theophilus Williams
Michael B. St.J. Maxwell
The Rev Peter Boxill

 Last Modified: 26 February,2014