Rector: The Rev Canon Jeffrey Gibson
Telephone: (246) 426-7358
Times of Services
7.00 am, 9.30 am (1st-4th Sunday)
8.00 am (5th Sunday)
The first St. Leonard's Church was dedicated on Feb. 2nd. 1854. However, the Feast of Title, November 6, has been kept as the annual observance and Patronal Festival rather than the Feast of Dedication.
This Church began its life as a chapel-of-ease of St. Michael's Cathedral, under the direction of the Cathedral Staff and obtained its independence in the Diocese as a Parish in the 1860's, under the care of Rev. Hamble James Leacock.
St. Leonard achieved early prominence when its first Vicar, The Rev. Leacock, along with a descendant of slaves from another island, Mr. H.A. Duport, a Catechist trained at Codrington College, left Barbados as representatives of the West India Church Association to start the first Christian Mission in Gambia and The Rio Pongas. This West African Mission is believed to be the among the first on the West Coast, and it has survived until the end of the twentieth century.
The first St. Leonard, a lovely gothic structure, was completely destroyed by a disastrous fire of July 7, 1981, and the present building was completed and dedicated on August 24, 1985. The congregation, with the support of the Diocesan Trustees, took the decision to replace the old church with a more functional building to accommodate the variety of activities in which the church of this century must give leadership.
St. Leonard's Church is physically one of the largest church buildings, the most modern and accessible and it stands imposingly on some seven acres of church-owned land.
Stewardship Development team
Captain Jonathan Holder
Mr Lemuel Tull