Diocese of Barbados
St Bartholomew's Church
Charnocks, Christ Church
Email Webmaster
Today is: Monday,23 May,2022 02:14:27 AM

St Bartholomew’s Church

Rector:  The Rev Jilian Crawford
Telephone: Rectory: (246) 428-1616 Church: (246) 420-7129

Times of Services

Sunday

7.00 am and 9.30 am

09202006_31205_0.png

St. Bartholomew's Church was established in 1830 on lands given by Mr. John Newton Lane of Seawell Plantation, Christ Church.  The cornerstone stone was laid on August 24, 1830, and among those present were Sir James Lyon, Governor and Commander -in-Chief,  Bishop William Hart Coleridge and the Reverend Pinder, Principal of Codrington College.  The Church was destroyed by the hurricane of August 11, 1831. It was rebuilt and consecrated by Bishop William Hart Coleridge in the presence of Governor, Sir Lionel Smith and several clergymen on May 27, 1833.

In 1878, a Prayer Desk, Lectern, Pulpit, Paten and two Chalices were provided by the Vestry.  In 1833, a piscina made in the south wall of the Sacrarium.  In 1884, Bell, Brass Altar Cross and Candle sticks were added.  In 1894 a Chancel Screen was erected and in 1899, a Stone Cross was erected on the east end of the Church. In 1894 a Chancel Screen was erected and in 1899, a Stone Cross was erected on the east end of the Church.  Between 1994 and 1995, all windows were replaced and in 2001, the Sacristy and the Chancel were totally refurbished.

09202006_31500_3.png

The Font, carved by Miss F. Burton and given by the Misses Burton of Staple Grove and was dedicated on June 7, 1908.  In 1930 the Church roof was completely rebuilt of steel.  In 1938, the wooden Pulpit was replaced by a stone structure.  In 1971, a wrought iron Chancel Screen replaced the original one of 1894.  In 1980, the Sacristy was removed from the South Transept and built in its present location.  The Lady Altar, erected in memory of Reverend J.W. Birkby was removed, but the main commemorative stone from the Altar was fixed into the south wall behind the Rector's Stall.

7102007_40719_0.jpg





Up-coming Events






Organisations
Contact Details
Altar Servers

Church Army

Men's Fellowship

Mothers Union

Sunday School   
Mr Horace Burton II - Chief Server

Mrs Sonia Leuwaisse - Captain

Mr Wilmot Best - President

Mrs Wenda Nurse -Branch Leader

Mrs Corlis Weekes-Grazette - Administrator
PARISH MINISTRIES
Ushers
Mr Anthony Atkinson - Chief Usher
Mrs Maria George-Wooding, Sunday School

Readers & Intercessors Guild
7.00 am Mrs Monica Marshall
9.30 am Mr Edwin Weekes

Floral Group
Mrs Utarine Perkins
Miss Heather Lewis
Mrs Maria George-Wooding
Mrs Joyce Moore

Pastoral Carers
Mrs Meta Edghill, Chairperson







 Last Modified: 5 July,2013