Diocese of Barbados
St. George Parish Church
St. George
Email Webmaster
Today is: Sunday,03 July,2022 11:11:25 AM

St.George's Church
St George, Barbados
Telephone: (246) 436-8794

Rector: The Rev Canon Gregston Gooding
History

St. George Church was rebuilt in 1784 at the cost of six thousand pounds "through the spirited and unwearied exertions of Henry Trotman, Churchwarden", after the original church, built between 1637 and 1641 had been destroyed in the hurricane of 1780.  The "new" building has stood the test of time; it was one of four parish churches to survive the great hurricane of 1831, and remained intact during those of 1898 and 1955.

The Treasures of St. George

St. George is rich in treasures donated by parishioners past and present.  In the reredos frame over the altar hangs the beautiful Resurrection painting, "Rise to Power" by Benjamin West R.A., the only American to become President of the Royal Academy, a post he held from 1792 until his death in 1820.  King George III was a patron of Benjamin West, many of whose paintings hang in Buckingham Palace.

During the last quarter of the eighteenth century, the Hon. Henry Frere of Lower Estate, President of The Legislative Council, commissioned the painting for St. George Church. It was exhibited at The Royal Academy in 1786, labeled “Not for Sale”.  When it arrived in Barbados, the Hon. Henry Frere and the then Rector, the Rev. John Carter, had “fallen out”, and as a result, this masterpiece was relegated to an outbuilding at Lower Estate Plantation, where it remained for more than 30 years.  The story goes that a thief, hiding in the outbuilding, was so unnerved by the accusing gaze of the centurion, that he poked his eye out.  The damaged painting was eventually placed in the church in 1820.  Sixty years later, and effort was made to have the damage repaired, but no artist would attempt to repaint the eye, which was covered instead with a “pirate’s patch”.

Another interesting painting “The Descent from the Cross” hangs on the wall behind the mahogany pulpit.  Painted on copper, the artist and the origin are unknown, but it is very old and appears to be the work of a master.

Among the memorial tablets are two unique marble sculptures.  The tablet on the north wall in memory of George Hall was sculpted by Westmacott, famous for his statues of Lord Nelson in London and Bridgetown.  On the South wall is the Salter memorial by Nollekens.

In the spacious chancel, added in 1923, are five stained glass windows, mahogany choir stalls and altar rail donated by the Pile family of Bulkeley and Brighton Plantations. More recent stained glass windows may be seen in the North porch donated by former rector, Canon Lionel Burke and his wife, and by his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Burke.  There are two new windows in the organ chamber, south of the chancel; one was given by Mrs. Elaine McKenzie in memory of her husband and the other by Mrs. Ruby Brancker of New York, U.S.A. in memory of the Watson and Lewis families.

Times of Services

Sunday

7.00 am - Holy Eucharist and Sermon
9.00 am - Sunday School
9.15 am - Solemn Eucharist and Sermon
Holy Baptism (every 3rd Sunday)



Organisations
Contact Details
Altar Guild
Church Army

Health Guild

The Health Guild held its first meeting on November 13th, 1997 and officially started in 1999 with fourteen members.

Aims and Objectives:

Aims

To render medical assistance to anyone becoming ill during church service

To reach out to others in the community, especially the elderly

To encourage members to use their talents to the glory of God.

Objectives

To organise and position members for weekly services
To educate and assist people to cope with chronic illness eg diabetes, hypertension, asthma etc.

Meetings are held monthly in the Parish Hall on the 3rd Thursday at 5.30 pm.

Membership:  21

Subscription: $3.00 monthly.
Leader:  Mrs Thelma Phillips
Men's Fellowship
Mothers' Union

Our Mothers' Union was formed in 1925 but remained dormant until 1962 when it became an active branch.

Our aim is to bring one homebound member to corporate worship as often as possible.

No. on roll: 80  

Meetings are held at 5.30 pm on Thursday before the 3rd Sunday.
Enrolling Member: Mrs Millicent Barrow
Telephone: (246)
Youth Committee
Youth Development

Former Rectors of St George

1649-1650
1651-1658       
1659-1666
1668-1669
1669-1688
1689-1693
1694-1695
1710-1714
1714
1746-1796
1777-
1783-1785
1797-
1820-
William Morris
Edward Colborne
John Hopwood
Christopher Amgell
Daniel Dyke
W. Tucker
R. Smith
William Gordon
Gilbert Wharton
John Carter, M.A.
Robert Jackman
Timothy Blenman
A.K. Thomas
William Lake Pinder, M.A.
1841    
1847-
1864
1882--1898
1900
1914
1923-1925
1925-1943
1943-1951
1 952-1956
1956-1964
1964-1972
1973-1994
1991-present
C.C. Cummins
J.T. Piggott
J.A. Beckles
George William Sisnett
Eyare Bradley Bovell
Banjamin Carlton Howell
Ven Archdeacon Regionald Skeete
John Alfred Patridge
Francis Mark Dowlen
Clement Christopher Conliffe
Lionel Cyril Mallalieu
Frank Anthony Cayless
Lionel DeCourcey Burke
Gregston S. Gooding

 Last Modified: 13 August,2007