Rector: The Rev Curtis S.R. Goodridge
Times of Services
St. Lucy is one of the six parishes created by Governor Sir William Tufton and the first Church was in existence in 1629. It was built of timber and was destroyed by the hurricane.
The second Church was built in 1741 of sawn stone. This was destroyed by the hurricane of 1780. The third Church was also destroyed by hurricane in 1831. The present Church was built in 1837, and is essentially Georgian, with a tower which conforms to the characteristic of all the other Parish Churches rebuilt during this period. It has a gallery running continuously on the North, West and Southern sides. Its seating capacity is 750.
In 1721, a silver Paten was given by Mrs. Anna Hooper. A brass Lectern was given by Mr. and Mrs. Allan Seale in memory of their son Neville in 1909. The then Organ was given by Mr. Thomas W. Deane of Bromefield, St. Lucy and Mr. Edward G. Wooding, owner of Babbs Plantation, St. Lucy in 1870. The present Organ was installed in 1992.
The Font is of marble and bears the inscription Given by Susana Haggatt, 1747". The pedestal of this Font was destroyed by the hurricane of 1831. From then until December 1904 the Font was erected on a wooden post which has since been replaced by marble, a gift of Mr. Howard King in memory of his brother.
The brass Cross on the Altar was given in memory of Sir Thomas Thornhill, owner of Mount Gay Estate in November 1901. The Baptismal Shell was given by Mrs. T.E. Norton Deane in October 1915.
Among the tablets in the churchyard are to the Reverend James Leacock, Martyr of the Pongas Mission, and Dr. Philip Lovell Phillips, who erected the Chancel at his own expense.
Other Church Information
James P. Neblett
William Marshall Harte
G. Duncan Gittens
Walter Clarence Watson
Herbert Milton Decourcey Alleyne
Alvin edward Simmons
Fitzroy Elderfield Pestaina
Sidney Charles Little
Arthur John Osborne Fry
Walter Henry Fairweather
W. Donald George
Frank E. Gill
Curtis S.R. Goodridge